Ok, we're a little biased over here, but we think Providence is an incredible place to visit any time of year.( Ok, maybe not January and February...) Providence is perfect for a quick weekend escape, or a great home base for a longer stay to explore the whole state, and more of southern New England. Still need some convincing? Here are 5 reasons you should plan a trip to Providence this year.
- The Lady Project Summit Start planning! This year The Summit will be on Saturday, March 12, with events that pour over into the Friday night before, and the following Sunday. This is a perfect excuse to spend the whole weekend and explore the city. Added bonus is getting to know some other Lady Project members in the process.
- The Food Providence is well known nationally as one of the best food scenes in the country. Stay in downtown, and you'll have easy access all over the city. Seriously, you could spend your entire weekend eating, and then planning your next meal. If you need some suggestions, tweet me what you're in the mood for, and I'll point you in the right direction.
- The Art One of the many reasons Providence is so unique is the vibrant community of artists who live and work in the city. Be sure to visit the RISD Museum (free on Sundays!), or see what's on stage at our official state theater, Trinity Repertory Company. Consider taking the Art in the Creative Captial Pedicab tour of the city.
- The Shopping Providence has many small neighborhoods, each with its own personality. Some of my favorite neighborhoods for unique, independently owned shops are Downcity, Hope Street and Wayland Square.
- The Beaches The smallest state in the union may only be 37 miles wide and 48 miles long, but the Ocean State has 400 miles of shoreline. The best part about the beaches in Rhode Island is the proximity. Everything is really close and easy to get to.